Friday, April 30, 2010

Unbelievable ...

This is a letter I wrote to my house-sitter which I did not send. It was simply an exercise designed to help lower my blood pressure, which is already down a couple points this morning! I decided not to send it to her but still want it out there, in cyber space, so Karma can get a whiff of it and make her own decision on how she wants to handle it. I leave it up to her ...

*NOTICE* ~ This is not a nice letter but I needed to say it and I feel better now. :)

I still can’t believe what you did. Every time I turn around here, I find something else missing, broken or soiled. We entrusted you with our HOME and yet you found it necessary to treat us like this? I guess I will never understand people like you. I thought we were friends and relied on you to be an honest, caring and competent person. I still can’t believe that (1) I misjudged you so completely (2) you think you did nothing wrong.

Your attitude throughout this entire ordeal (and believe me, it was an ordeal for us being thousands of miles away, wondering what the hell was going on here) has been condescending and evasive. Frankly, when you cancelled the housekeeper the first time, I had the fleeting instant of fear that you were hiding something. It seems I was right. We paid over $2,000 for the piece of furniture that you broke.

If you had been honest with us when it happened, we would have told you to call the manufacturer (their showroom is a mere two blocks away) and arrange for them to come in to look at it at our expense. If it needs to be taken away for repair, wouldn’t it have made more sense to do it while we were still away? As it is now, I will probably have to live with clothing all over my beautiful bedroom due to your artifice.

Thank you so much for your note. It was such a wonderful surprise to read it upon our return close to midnight after a long arduous day of travel. I was up until 3AM, trying to put my house back together. Frankly, it was smart of you to leave before we got here. I would not have hesitated to put you out on the street for what you did to our home.

Oh and thank you for totally RAPING the fridge before your departure. Unfortunately, I wasn’t quite sure how to make a breakfast the next morning using only mustard and capers. Was it really necessary to take almost everything and not even have the common decency to leave us a crust of bread? Please don’t try to tell me that you went through an entire 1 kg jar of garlic in 12 weeks. Open your fridge. See it there? Jesus Christ.

Given the way you run your life, it really should not be such a surprise to me that you did all this but I still can’t believe it. And since you obviously go to great lengths to avoid confrontations of any kind -- refusing my phone calls, not answering my emails and removing me as a friend on Facebook (what are we, in high school for fuck’s sake?) -- I advise you VERY strongly to avoid me at all costs for the foreseeable future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geez... Juliana this blog hits rather close to home, as I've got a simliar situation with my landlord... thinking he was "honest, caring and competent person."

I've been SO wrong... for months on END he's refused to fix anything, instead he's allowed a neighbor who's deliberately put our lives at risk, attracting wild bucks to their yard AND ours to come onto our property, (when that SAME neighbor specifically told US, to NEVER trespass on THEIR property) and I found her appearing at our back door, 10 feet from it, at 9:30 am on a Saturday morning to discuss taking down a tree that was on OUR property with some strange guy I didn't even know. The neighbor who NEVER speaks to me, appeared there at my back door in her pajamas!
How weird.. and YET, the landlord stuck up for HER not me!
I think these blogs are a good way to relieve tension and just VENT! That's what I use them for.. but I know how you feel, when you trust someone and treat them properly but yet, they deceive you, betray you, and just downright rip you off!

It's NOT a nice feeling, I can well relate, and YES, I pay GOOD money for my rent so I know that feels, paying out lots of money to someone when they do you wrong!

At least that housesitter is OUT of your life! Give thanks for that! Sorry to hear about the destruction she left

The Empress said...

Wow! Sorry to read what you are going through. There is nothing worse than paying someone to provide a service and then having them cost you money and disrupt your life. A friend of mine had a personal assistant who was looking after her house while my friend was across the country taking care of her sick fiance. The assistant was a crazy raging bitch. When I came to town to stay at my friends place I discovered the assistant had left most of the lights on in the house for several days leaving some of them burned out, had not cleaned the cat litter boxes for as many days, left cat vomit all over the expensive living room rug and even took some of my friends perscribed medication hidden in her private bathroom. Then this person had the nerve to demand that my friend pay her more money for the inconvenience she suffered from tending to the house! People like that usually end up getting what they deserve in the end. Good luck getting everything sorted!
-The Ranter's Box
www.rantersbox.blogspot.com