Sunday, July 09, 2006

Summer In The City

It's been a wild weekend here in Toronto. As if World Cup soccer wasn't enough, there were 18 events happening there this weekend. Included among them was the Molson Grand Prix (closing down the Lakeshore), the Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibition (Nathan Phillips Square), Celebrate Toronto Street Festival (held at four major intersections along Yonge Street), Taste of Lawrence Festival (on Lawrence Street, naturally) and Corso Italia Toronto Fiesta (in Little Italy). The last event will be extended until the wee hours of the morning given Italy's win over France. The last time they won, St. Clair West was packed with half a million Italian-Canadians celebrating.

I love the city in the summer but it is getting exceedingly difficult to decide what to do! Thank the Goddess I don't drive because with all the street closures, I can only imagine how long it was taking people to get around town. Living downtown does have its advantages. I can walk everywhere! On Saturday, I gave my girlfriend's kids a bit of walking tour. We meandered down The Esplanade, cut through the St. Lawrence Market, strolled past the Flatiron Building with its beautiful three storey mural, admired the architecture inside BCE Place, zipped through the underground to Union Station and walked along Skywalk to the foot of the CN Tower.

From there, we headed down to Harbourfront to enjoy the free music, buskers, the international marketplace, the world cafe and the breeze off the Lake. I think the kids enjoyed themselves. What do you think?














This is my "little" godson, Martin Luc. He's taller than me now. *sigh*














And here is his sister, Julie Marie (my namesake) with younger brother, John Patrick, enjoying their ice cream (and that's their Dad, reading).

No comments: