Sunday, July 30, 2006

Repatriation

re·pa·tri·ate

To restore or return to the country of birth, citizenship, or origin

I heard this phrase used on the news the other day and thought of my own repatriation. I'm not sure it's going so well. I'm still living in one room and sharing the rest of the condo with my roommate. It's her place so I'm feeling a little bit like an unwelcome houseguest, even though I pay rent and buy my own food and supplies. There's just something about being in your own place isn't there?

To that end, I will be moving back into my condo on October 1st. Considering my birthday is October 2nd and my anniversary of buying the place is October 7th, this date seems rather auspicious to me. Unfortunately, I don't own very much -- a bed, a desk, a box of pots, some wineglasses, linens and towels. My Dad is giving me a couple of plastic lawn chairs and an old stereo cabinet so I'm not entirely destitute. And my Mom's giving me a vaccuum cleaner. LOL

But I keep feeling like I'm caught in a bit of a twilight zone ...

I find myself still drawn back into discussions about Puerto Vallarta and I'm still getting emails from people who think I can help them with vacation accomodations and tourist attractons. But I'm really not interested. The more news I receive from down there (parks being plowed under, pollution, storms, crooked politicians, unbearably hot weather, blah, blah, blah), the happier I am to be here. So I think it is important not to dwell on my old life there and concentrate on bulding my new life here.

No comments: